Monday, May 28, 2012

Neverwhere Group Read - Part 2


Today's questions relate to Chapters 6-12:

1. Chapter 6 begins with Richard chanting the mantra, “I want to go home”. How do you feel about Richard and his reactions at this point to the unexpected adventure he finds himself on?
I don't blame Richard for wanting to go home.  His life above was boring but safe and predictable.  Now he is among strangers (who are truly  strange), in a dark, depressing place, and feels his life is in danger.

2. The Marquis de Carabas was even more mysterious and cagey during the first part of this week’s reading. What were your reactions to him/thoughts about him as you followed his activities?
I haven't been able to figure him out -- is he good? is he bad? or is he a combination of both?  Is he the betrayer in their midst?  One thing is for certain:  he is full of contradictions.

3. How did you feel about the Ordeal of the Key?
I think this was probably the scariest of the three Ordeals.   Thank goodness Richard had Anaesthesia's bead to orient himself.   I believe that from this point on his self-doubt is extinguished and he is more able to deal with the denizens of London Below.

4. This section of the book is filled with moments. Small, sometimes quite significant, moments that pass within a few pages but stick with you. What are one or two of these that you haven’t discussed yet that stood out to you, or that you particularly enjoyed.
I liked the Earl, Old Bailey telling jokes to his birds (badly), and I found the vampiric Lamia intriguing.  I did not, however enjoy Vandemar eating the live pigeon -- or the crucifixion.

5. Any other things/ideas that you want to talk about from this section of the book?
I don't think of Croup and Vandemar as funny anymore.

I enjoyed the part where Richard and Door become inebriated by the Atlantean wine and could picture Richard doing his Fred Astaire imitation on the steps of the British Museum.

Next week -- the CONCLUSION!!


7 comments:

  1. Many of the scenes when Vandemar is eating make me cringe. And I'm with you, I can't figure out the Marquis at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am being objective I too can't blame Richard. At the same time the part of me that gets over involved with the story wants him to pull himself up by the bootstraps and start acting like an individual with purpose. I find the tug of war between who he is and who I want him to be to be very engaging as a reader.

    Vandemar's eating habits are not for the faint of heart, that is for sure. Croup's don't seem much better, but it is less disgusting to imagine Croup eating a statue vs. Vandemar munching on any wriggling thing he can catch.

    The bead in his pocket was a really nice touch. I like how Gaiman brought that back into the story and how that brief but special connection Richard made with Anaesthesia was one of the things that helped pull him back from the brink.

    The Fred Astaire moment was a special one. It was nice to see Richard and Door let their hair down and relax for just one moment. It was a nice gift that the wine gave them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how you felt about Richard. He's so lacking in any kind of direction in his life, so willing to flow along on the tide and let himself be controlled by others -- "wet lettuce," as Darren so humorously expressed it in his reply -- that one really wants him to shape up and is impatient for him to do so.

      Delete
  3. I loved the scene when Old Bailey was telling jokes to the birds! And I think you're right - I think the Ordeal made Richard a little more focused on the task at hand, rather than just wishing he was home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Croup and Vandemar's eating habits always make me laugh. I just have a hard time taking villains seriously when they're trying to talk with a mouth full of frogs. It's gross, but in a kind of funny way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been exposed to a lot of questionable food so far, but Vandemar's eating habits are the least desirable. I don't particularly mind him eating dead things, but the live ones - it's like he is feeding on their terror as well as their flesh and blood.
    And no, there will be no kisses for Vandemar. Even if he brushes his teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even if it's not as disgusting as Vandemar eating dead things, I think Croup's lust for destruction in eating the figurine is pretty chilling. There really is nothing they care about, and they are apparently indestructible - and if the Marquis couldn't escape from them, there doesn't seem much hope for Richard and Door. Because the only thing keeping our heroes safe at the moment is that Group and Vandemar aren't trying to kill them right now.

    ReplyDelete