Monday, May 21, 2012

Neverwhere Group Read - Part 1


1. What do you think of our two villains thus far, Messrs. Croup and Vandemar?
I think they are thoroughly despicable, but at first I thought they were a little ridiculous and a bit  humorous, like Laurel and Hardy; but then I quickly came to realize they were psychopathic villains of the vilest sort.


2. Thus far we’ve had a small taste of London Below and of the people who inhabit it. What do you think of this world, this space that lies within or somewhat overlaps the space the “real world” occupies?
It's gritty, dark and dangerous, as London Above can also be in part, but London Below is a world both magical and terrifying -- like the dark side of the looking glass.


3. What ideas or themes are you seeing in these first 5 chapters of Neverwhere? Are there any that you are particularly drawn to?
Richard is likeable but not the brightest bulb.  He lives a safe, respectable life with a good job and a fiancee (a bossy and uncompromising maneater), but it doesn't seem that he is totally in control of his life and that he truly knows who he really is.  Perhaps his sojourn down below will teach him some things he needs to learn.


 4. We’ve met a number of secondary characters in the novel, who has grabbed your attention and why?
I like Longtail (because I enjoy stories with animals that speak and I especially like rats for some reason) and Hunter (a strong, independent, take-nothing-from-nobody woman I would like to know more about).  I am also interested in Islington.


5. As you consider the Floating Market, what kind of things does your imagination conjure up? What would you hope to find, or what would you be looking for, at the Market?  
I love flea markets.  I would hope there would be lots and lots of ancient books and all sorts of antiques, curiosities and unusual and decorative items that would appeal to me.


6. If you haven’t already answered it in the questions above, what are your overall impressions of the book to this point?
I think the characters and the setting are very real.  One can almost hear the scuttling of rats and dripping of sewer water in the background.  Also, he moves everything along at a good pace.  Although contemporary urban fantasy is not to my taste, Gaiman is a gifted storyteller and I've found the book fun, quirky, mildly disturbing and easy reading.  I enjoy keeping track of the literary allusions also.

7 comments:

  1. Islington ... that scene at the end of Chapter 5 is so ethereal ... the image of the candles lighting and going out as islington passes is just magical ... I'm so curious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I want to know more about him. We've only caught a brief glimpse so far, but he seems to be the antithesis of the darkness that ate Anesthesia.

      Delete
  2. I don't usually care for tales with talking animals, but Gaiman is an excellent storyteller and so it seems to be the average and not some big magical deal. I like that low key approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping we're going to see more of the rats, I've always liked talking animals - they are one of the things that will make me pick up a book. Islington is intriguing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a mildly disturbing book, for sure, as well as a whole lot of fun. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

    Longtail is great. I love how quickly Richard's world starts to fall apart, beginning with finding himself having to apologize to a rat. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charlotte,
    Psychopathic Laurel and Hardy--that totally works. I went with the Abbott and Costello analogy, but I think we were imagining the same sort of near comic relief when these guys are in reality seriously disturbing!

    Islington is certainly intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Croup and Vandemar absolutely creep me out, but you're right, they're totally ridiculous, too! More than once I've found myself snorting with laughter at something they've said or done. I would never laugh in their presence, though . . .

    ReplyDelete