Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mistborn: The Final Empire Group Read -- Part 2


1. The nobility, the skaa, and the Lord Ruler have integral roles in the novel and yet we haven’t really interacted with them much. Do you think there is a reason for this? Have you formed an opinion about them?
I think we will interact more with them as the story progresses and that some surprises are in store.  Apparently, the nobility are not all cut from the same cloth, as evidenced by Elend, and not all of the skaa feel so hopeless that they are unwilling to take part in a rebellion.  The Lord Ruler is a puzzlement.  Is it he speaking in the little paragraphs before each chapter?  If so, why did the philosopher who proclaimed him the prophesied savior then turn against him?  I'm looking forward to the answers to these questions.


2. Religion plays a vital role in the story. What is your opinion about the role of religion under the Lord Ruler? What do you think of Sazed’s role as a Keeper.
The idea of the Lord Ruler as God or "sliver of infinity" reminds me of the belief in the divine right of kings.  The role of religion seems to be keeping the people subjugated, not to offer them faith, hope or comfort.  I think the Keepers will play an important role if and when the Empire is overthrown by passing on in the midst of the chaos the remembrance of a kinder, gentler way of life and choice of religion the people will be ready to welcome.  


 3. Are you for/against/or ambivalent about Kelsier’s plan to overthrow the Lord Ruler? Do you think his heart is in the right place or is it just revenge?
I'm definitely for his plan; I think it must lead to a better life for the poor skaa.  I don't think his plan is totally altruistic as we have learned of his hatred of the Lord Ruler and his followers.  His experience in the Pits and the loss of Mare seems to have given an added thrust to what he plans to accomplish.  However, the fact that he has been able to attract cohorts that truly like and trust him says a lot about his character.


4. Vin and Kelsier are the main characters of the novel, yet there are many characters. Is there a certain character who intrigues you more than the others?
Yes, Sazed.  I'm interested to know more about him and what powers he possesses.  I like his kindness and imperturbability.

10 comments:

  1. There was never a doubt in my mind that we would see a more complex society than a standard fantasy novel might bring, and that has certainly been the case thus far. I suspect we will have much more in the way of people not being what they seem as well as finding people on both "sides" who will go against type and align themselves in unexpected ways.

    I mentioned the same thing about "the divine right of kings". It was what immediately popped into my head. The whole idea of the Lord Ruler eliminating religions that would compete against him is also reminding me of stories I've read about the Roman Empire and the way Emperors would act, including killing off family members and friends who might be dangerous rivals to their "divine" rule.

    Your answer to question three leads me to wonder, if all ends the way Keslier wants, will the ends justify the means?

    Sazed is such a great character. I'm more and more interested in following him around and seeing what makes him tick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think there is much more to be disclosed about Sazed.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting, because in the beginning so many things feel black and white. Kelsier and Vin both seem to fit right into a cliche, and the world is an us-against-them situation. Now, though, as we get to know characters and even classes, we see how nothing can be truly black and white. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like the twists and turns of the characterization -- keeps things interesting.

      Delete
  3. I could see that the person who prophesied the Lord Ruler as saviour probably realised that he's a raging maniac. At the end of the day, being a saviour doesn't make you into a God. And a living God - who has an abode in a city - no less. He doesn't exactly have omnipresence does he?
    I had almost put the 'plan' to the back of my mind! I do want it to work of course but I'd just got so absorbed in everything else it kind of slipped my mind! Oops.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if the one who discovered him and first called him the Hero of Ages at last realized he was a raving maniac, why is he the only one of the philosophers to do so, after he struggled so hard to convince them. (Of course, this is assuming that the text at the beginning of each chapter is the voice of the Lord Ruler.) "...he is the only major Terris holy man to preach against my reign." There is so much we don't know as yet.

      Delete
    2. I keep remembering Paul Maud'ib in Dune: he displaces the Emperor, but gives rise to a terrible personality cult that brings chaos to the Empire. He has the best of intentions, but still becomes the thing he hates most: a god.

      Delete
    3. I'm very curious about the Lord Ruler. I wonder if becoming a god was his intention at the beginning of his quest. Perhaps the book Sazed is translating will give some insight. Could the little snippets of text at the beginning of the chapters be from that book, I wonder.

      Delete
  4. Elend was a nice twist to the story. I was believing Kelsier that all the nobles were evil and then Vin meets this noble hiding at a ball so he could read a book. It made me reevaluate. And it reminded me that not everything is black and white. I love that aspect of Sanderson's writing...he knows how to throw a curve ball to keep me wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, think he is very skilled at drawing in the reader and making one want to know more.

    ReplyDelete