Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mistborn: The Final Empire Group Read -- Part 1

1. This first hundred or so pages was packed! What things are standing out for you in the story thus far?
I agree with Carl about being packed!  I found myself wishing for a glossary of terms as I progressed in my reading -- obligator, inquisitor, Misting, Allomancy, Canton, Mistborn, etc.   All the terms together with the plot, which takes off right away, is quite a full serving at the beginning, but compelling and intriguing and makes one want to read more.


2. What are your thoughts on the magic system that Sanderson is unveiling in this novel? 
I very much like Sanderson's brand of magical talent.  Allomancy, a use of ten metal elements which, when "burned" internally, provides those born with the skill with abilities to manipulate emotions and metal objects, provides a range of skill with rather more imaginative practical applications than one might expect.


3. Kelsier and Vin have held most of the spotlight in these first 6 chapters. As you compare/contrast the two characters, how do you feel about them? Likes? Dislikes?
I like both characters but for different reasons.  I admire Kelsier's confidence and outlook, even after what he has experienced in the Pits.  I like his focus on loyalty, closeness and friendship, and his rescue of Vin, the street urchin who has trust issues because all she has known is betrayal.  I'm looking forward to the development of her character and hope she will learn, with the help of Kelsier and his crew, that people can be loyal friends.


4. Finally, how would you assess Sanderson’s storytelling abilities to this point?
Thoroughly professional writing in my estimation.  His characters are brilliant, his ability to write action sequences is superb and his attention to the details of his universe is exceptional.




6 comments:

  1. I thought it was neat the way that Sanderson described Kelsier using allomancy to fight with objects whizzing through the air. It's a well-thought system of magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really liked that part. I'll be interested to see future examples.

      Delete
  2. I mentioned elsewhere that the Steel Inquisitor reminded me of characters from Jean Pierre Juenet's film, City of Lost Children, and the more I think about it the more I am envisioning this world looking somewhat like that one, or at the very least having a similar aesthetic. And I like that very much.

    It has been a compelling read thus far, you are so right.

    Speaking of 10, I think I read somewhere that 10 is an important number in Sanderson's fiction. I believe I read that in connection with his statements that there will be 10 books in the Stormlight Archive series (The Way of Kings being the first).

    I'm glad you mentioned loyalty because one of the things that did stand out to me know that you mention it is Vin's observation about how different Kelsier's relationships with his crew are from what she is used to. This at least initially feels more like a team and less like a group of individuals merely out for themselves. I will be interested to see if Kelsier's personal history gets in the way of that at any time in the story.

    So glad you are enjoying the book thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, could have used a glossary: I was a little overwhelmed at first!

    I think it will take Vin a long time to relax and trust people, but this is a good thing. Given her background, it would be very sloppy writing if she were to suddenly trust these men for no apparent reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you're right. It will be interesting to watch the changes in her character as the story moves along.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to see so many people enjoying this! :)

    ReplyDelete